Submitted by: James Rout, March 1, 2011
Phone: (604) 844-3835
Fax: (604) 630-4531
2009/2010 Chapter Officers
James Rout, Chair
Melinda Reinhardt, Secretary/Treasurer
Tanja Harrison, Atlantic Region Representative
Kenlyn Collins, Prairie Region Representative
Peter Trepanier, ARLIS/NA MOQ (Montréal-Ottawa-Québec) Chapter Representative
Margaret English, ARLIS/NA Ontario Chapter Representative
Paula Ferrar, ARLIS/NA Northwest Chapter Representative
James Rout, Webmaster
Chapter website: www.arliscanada.ca
The Chair of ARLIS/NA Canada, James Rout, attended:
· ARLIS/NA 38th Annual Conference, Boston, MA, April 23-26, 2010.
· ARLIS/NA Ontario Chapter Meeting, Toronto, ON, May 14, 2010 (via conference call).
· ARLIS/NA Montréal-Ottawa-Québec Chapter Meeting, Montréal, QC, June 4, 2010.
· ARLIS/NA Mid-Year Executive Board Meeting, Santa Fe, NM, September 23-24, 2010.
· ARLIS/NA Northwest Chapter Meeting, Seattle, WA, November 12-13, 2010.
ARLIS/NA Canada Chapter Activities Summary
* ARLIS/NA Board activities reported included:
o ARLIS/NA Ontario chapter engaged in preparations to host the 2012 Annual conference.
o The tri-lingual brochure was launched and distributed in Summer 2010.
* Communicated via e-mail, chapter listservs, chapter meetings and ARLIS/NA Canada website.
* Launched the new ARLIS/NA Canada website in Spring 2010.
o Includes syndicated arts related news from around the web, together with exceptional ‘Visual Arts News’ updates regularly provided by Cheryl Siegel and Joanna Spurling from the Vancouver Art Gallery Library.
2009-2010 Melva J. Dwyer Award Winner:
The 2010 winner of the Melva J. Dwyer Award was Dr. Oliver Botar for Andor Weininger: A Bauhausler in Canada, published by the Robert McLaughlin Gallery, 2009. This book, which accompanied the exhibition A Bauhausler in Canada: Andor Weininger in the ’50s at the Robert McLaughlin Gallery (May 9 – June 28, 2009) are the only Canadian contributions to a major series of exhibitions, conferences and publications on both sides of the Atlantic celebrating the 90th anniversary of the establishment of the Bauhaus in Weimar, Germany.
Eleven nominations were received, including one web site The Historical Canadian Women Artists: A Bio-bibliographic Database, located on the Canadian Women Artists History Initiative (CWAHI) website at http://cwahi.concordia.ca/ , 2007, co-authored by Arlisian Melinda Reinhardt, Concordia University. This initiative was given Honourable Mention for the 2010 Melva Dwyer award.
The jury members for the 2010 award were:
* James Rout, Head of Library and Archives Services, The Banff Centre, Banff, AB.
* Cyndie Campbell, Head of Archives, Documentation and Visual Resources, Library & Archives, National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa, ON
* Eva Revitt, Campus Librarian, Centre for the Arts and Communications Library, Grant MacEwan College, Edmonton, AB.
Liv Valmestad presented the award at the Convocation Ceremony at the ARLIS/NA 38th Annual Conference, April 2010, Boston, MA.
With its excellent scholarship, A Bauhausler in Canada: Andor Weininger in the ‘50s, reveals that despite his marginalization in Toronto, Weininger enjoyed his most productive years as an artist in Canada, resulting in an inventive, highly eclectic and often strikingly beautiful oeuvre.
Calls for nominations for the 2011 Melva Dwyer Award were made in fall 2010. Jury members for the 2011 Melva J. Dwyer Award were appointed in fall of 2010 by Chair, James Rout. The jury members for the 2011 award are:
* Larissa Beringer, Librarian, Emily Carr University of Art + Design
* Tanja Harrison, University Librarian, Nova Scotia College of Art and Design
* Jennifer Garland, Assistant Librarian, McGill University
The 2011 award will be announced and presented by James Rout during Convocation ceremonies at the 39th annual ARLIS/NA Conference in Minneapolis, MN.